Saturday, January 29, 2011

Q4U

Addrress: 3951 W 5400 S, Kearns, UT 84118. 801.955.8858.

Review: There is one dish in the pantheon of southern cooking that rules above all others: chicken and waffles. It's origin is mysterious (some attribute it to Thomas Jefferson, some to recently released slaves who migrated north. Whatever the true origin, the dish is a revelation.

On Friday, I went to Q4U with some friends for a good old fill-your-tummy-with-BBQed-meat dinner. After setting my sight on the brisket dinner (my wife is from Texas, so brisket is the BBQed meat of choice in our family), the waitress declared the night's special was chicken and waffles. She had me at "chicken and."

Q4U did not disappoint. Unlike other chicken and waffles I've had that used breast meat, this one came with chicken wings. Dark meat makes the meal tastier and more interesting. The wings were fried well, juicy, and had a honey glaze. (Where there is fried chicken there must be honey.) They could have used a little more seasoning, but let's not sweat the small stuff. Good as the chicken was, the waffle was superior. As the cook informed me, the waffle was created in-house. It was tall, with a crispy exterior and fluffy interior. Perhaps the most intriguing characteristic, however, was the waffle's almost malted quality. It was one of the best I've eaten, hands down. And, thankfully, the whole meal came with a mess of butter and honey. What a delight.

As for Q4U's interior, well, it looks like the inside of a Dukes of Hazard diner. But who cares? They serve a mean chicken and waffles, and that's all that matters.

Oh, and I have no idea how the BBQ is. I was too full to taste any of it. Looked alright though.

(Note: The chicken and waffles is only offered Friday and Saturday night.)

Rating: I can't really give Q4U an educated rating since I didn't try the BBQ, but I can give the chicken and waffles a "hot dang, that's good"!

Q4U on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment