Sunday, January 30, 2011

Visconti House

Address: 2340 E Phylden Dr., #3 (4640 S), Holladay, UT 84117. 801.277.6006.

Review: Visconti House is the type of place you love to find tucked away in the middle of nowhere. It's small, although they say they're expanding their dining room. It's Italian-owned by a guy from Naples or thereabouts. Like Americans from the South, Southern Italians know how to make food.

A friend of mine and I tried Visconti for lunch. The menu was small, which is understandable given the coziness of the restaurant. I had chicken tortellini in a gorgonzola cream sauce -- a dish that left me puzzled. I expected hand-made tortellini with a fresh chicken filling, and that is apparently what I received. (The tortellini are home-made and sold to other restaurants in the valley.) Only problem was I couldn't tell they were hand-made because they lacked the suppleness usually present in hand-made pasta. And, if the menu hadn't announced they were stuffed with chicken, I would never have known. Likewise, the sauce lacked that beautiful gorgonzola taste one gets when a quality gorgonzola is present.

My friend ordered the spaghetti with sausage. I tried a bit. It was a superior dish.

Ultimately, I wonder if I picked the dish on the wrong day. I'll let you know if that is in fact the case after I try the dinner menu.

Rating: 5/10 (5/10 is average).

Visconti House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment