Sunday, April 10, 2011

Siegfried's Deli

Address: 20 W 200 S, SLC, UT 84101. 801.355.3891.

Review: There are certain times when you go to a restaurant and everything (food, memories, etc.) just comes together to make a wonderful experience. My experience at Siegfried's Deli was one of those times.

Siegfried's is a German Deli located a hop-skip-and-a-jump from Capital Theater. Its location makes it a perfect pre-performance dinner spot. In fact, my wife and I discovered Siegfried's searching for dinner one evening before Utah Opera's performance of Bizet's Carmen.

I ordered the wienerschnitzel with sides of spaetzle and brown gravy and red cabbage. The food transported me back to when I would visit my brother in Frankfurt, Germany. There are no better memories than, while sightseeing with my brother, stopping at a street vendor to procure a massive and tender schnitzel. Siegfried's schnitzel was likewise tender (although not as big) and tasty. A little lemon wakes up the taste of the meat and adds a nice counterpoint to the dish's fattiness. The spaetzle (an extruded simple pasta) with brown gravy was as I remember: heavy, gravyed, and salty. The red cabbage was tender with a small amount of toothiness left. It's slight bitterness and acidity (not to mention its nature as a vegetable) was delightful. (Now, I know in my mind Siegfried's isn't quite as good as the food I had in Germany, but it's pretty darn close, and, in any case, it's pretty darn good.) Ultimately, like all good German fare, Siegfried's food leaves you wanting more. I certainly do.

Side note: Carmen was a very enjoyable production. The whole evening was simply wonderful.

Rating: 8/10 (5/10 is average).

Siegfried's Deli on Urbanspoon


  1. You forgot to mention all the european vintage cookies and treats that line the walls behind the counter, in true East European style!

  2. Siegfried's has been a family favorite for years. Love that place!