Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Moochie's Meatballs and More

From what I've seen on TV and heard in SLC, Moochie's Meatballs and More! (yes, the exclamation point is actually part of the name)=best philly cheesesteaks in the West. We'll get to the food in a moment. First, the ambience. Moochie's is actually part of the Circle Pottery Gift Shop located at 232 East 800 South, SLC (number's 801.596.1350). This little fact hides itself pretty well since my buddy John and I never saw anything resembling pottery when we walked in this little hole-in-the-wall (holes-in-the-wall are good in my world).


Now, on to the food. John and I both had the 6" philly cheesesteak. I had mine with onions (which are practically obligatory) and sauteed bell peppers. John ordered the onions and mushrooms.
All philly's come standard with melted american cheese.


Now, I must make a confession: mine was alright. Here's what I liked:

(1) The bread. It was quite good. Just crusty enough on the outside and just chewy enough in the middle to stand up to the meat.
(2) The onions. They were well caramelized and tasty.

Here's what disappointed me a bit:

(1) Lack of grease/juice. When I order a big, fat, nasty sandwich like this, I want grease rolling off my chin like I'm Michael Moore eating a triple whopper on Sunday morn'. There was none to be had here. Since grease/juice equals flavor, the sandwich lacked a bit.
(2) The cheese. I thought I would trust their choice of american cheese. Bad move. As on everything, american cheese simply doesn't add much. When you go, get cheez whiz or mozzarella.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is a good sandwich (especially for $5.99). I will be back; but if Moochie's is really as good as cheesesteaks in Philly, then maybe that iconic sandwich isn't all it's cracked up to be.

(Note: Moochie's has a good drink selections, including good rootbeers. My son was a fan.)


Moochie's Meatballs & More on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment