Friday, June 17, 2011

Salt City Burger Co.

Address: 9176 South Village Shop Drive, Sandy, UT 84094. 801.495.4111.

Review: Salt City Burger Co. (Salt City) was a recommendation from a friend. Since I have a difficult time passing up a burger, I couldn't not try the place.

Salt City is a build your own burger kind of joint. You initially buy the meat and the bun, and then you can pay for add-ons (e.g., cheese, grilled onions, avocado, etc.) as you wish (or don't). This noted, you don't pay for standard burger items (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.).

I order the bacon blue burger. It came with, you guessed it, blue cheese. And a tangy, mildly creamy blue cheese it was. It also came with bacon, but not in the form you're imagining. Instead of frying the bacon and putting it on top of the patty, Salt Lake minces the bacon and places it inside the patty. This technique has some interesting pros and cons. The primary pro is the bacon's fattiness imbues the patty with juiciness and smokiness. The real con is the bacon never gets crispy, so every so often you bite into large, relatively uncooked portions of bacon fat. I prefer my bacon crispy, so adding it to the patty was interesting, but ultimately not my thing.

I ended up loading my burger with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and mayo. Notwithstanding my reservations about the bacon-inside-the-patty thing, the burger was good. Nothing particularly stunning about it, but it made me want to come back for more.

The fries on the other hand, did not. They were limp and unremarkable. The onions rings looked good; try those instead.

One last thing, my buddy ordered a peanut butter chocolate shake, from which I was allowed to partake. Awesome. Vivid peanut butter flavor. Good chocolateness as well. Creamy. Smooth. Very good.

So, Salt City gets some things right, some things not, and some things better than right. Certainly not the best burger place in SLC, but I'll be back.

Rating: 6/10 (5/10 is average).

Salt City Burger Co. on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment