Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lone Star Taqueria

Address: 2265 Fort Union Blvd, SLC, UT 84121. 801.944.2300.

Review: As you enter Lone Star Taqueria's (LST) parking lot you realize a couple things: (1) there's never enough parking, and (2) it looks like a psychedelic hippie cowboy decorated the joint just before he went the way of all the earth. Amazingly, once you get inside and taste the tacos, neither of these matter in the least.

Now, LST serves all manner food: burritos, tacos, salads, tamales, etc. However, since LST is in fact a taqueria, I stayed with the tacos -- carnitas, carne adovada, and pescado to be precise.



Let me say up front that all three were good, but the pork tacos were very good. The carnitas was flavorful and crunchy, yet tender and juicy. This is a true feat since most carnitas are dry and a little tough. The carne adovada was equally good -- seasoned and fragrant, moist and tasty. The standard accompaniments of onions, cilantro, pico de gallo, and and hot sauce added to the experience. Sublime it was.

And now, the pescado, or fish taco. It had all the elements of a good fish taco: cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, and onions. What it missed for me was the breading. See, this fish taco is made with marinated and grilled fish, not breaded and fried fish. I know in my mind marinating and grilling produces better flavor, but my heart longed for fried crispy fish on my taco. There is no rhyme or reason to this desire; the heart wants what the heart wants. However, whether it's my heart or my mind, this was a good taco I would eat again and again.

Here's my only real beef with LST: price. You can, conceivably, find tacos or similar quality from a taco stand for half the price of LST tacos ($2.69 for most, $3.29 for the pescado). Of course, why go searching all over kingdom come for something of potentially equivalent quality when you can just drive to LST? Just hope you find some parking.

Rating: 7.5/10 (5/10 is average)

Lone Star Taqueria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Next time you hit up LST, I'd recommend trying the burritos. While the tacos are good, the burritos are phenomenal; especially the shrimp and fish (as long as it's not cod). We also love the carne adovada and especial burritos.

    ReplyDelete