Thursday, August 18, 2011

Leslie's French Pastries

Address: 2308 Murray Holladay Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84117. 801.278.3341.

Review: After mailing some court documents at the Holladay Post Office, my son and I thought we'd stop by Leslie's French Pastries on the way home.

We have driven past many, many times, so it was only fair we stopped in.

Now, to be honest, I don't rightly know baked goods. First, I don't bake well; I cook. Second, I don't often eat baked goods --- I'm a salt guy. I say this because I don't know the name of what we ordered, so pictures will have to do the 'splainin'. I ordered this.

I do know the topping was a pecan streusel. I also know the pastry component was light and buttery. The streusel had some brown sugar and, of course, pecans. The unfortunate thing about using nuts in pastries like this is they lose their crunch as soon as they soak up liquid from the glaze and streusel. This notwithstanding, the pecans had some bite left and provided the only textural contrast. The glaze was, well, sweet and glazy. In all, I liked it.

My son ordered this.

Below the dense pink topping, was a series of light, flaky pastry levels interspersed with a vanilla cream. The real star here was the cream. It was light, not too sweet, and addictive. Likewise, the pastry levels were flaky and light, a perfect accompaniment to the cream. As I said before, the topping was dense and overly sweet. It didn't seem to go well with the rest of the pastry. In the end, we removed that layer and ate the rest. Pretty good stuff.

Well, that ends our pastry experience at Leslie's. They also make cakes that looked darn good. One day, we'll have to come back and try one.

Rating: 6.5/10 (5/10 is average).

Leslie's French Pastries on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I have been to this bakery many times...your son got a pastry with fondant on it. Yes,very sweet...you have to try their iced sugar cookies. They are so good. Also, their cream cheese danish is amazing. The pecan one that you got is good as well.

    We had a eclair tasting contest at my brothers work. Providing many eclairs from all over the city. Leslie's won!! The eclairs are too die for!

    ReplyDelete