Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bohemian Brewery & Grill

Address: 94 Fort Union Blvd, Midvale, UT 84047. 801.566.5474.

Review: So, German food. I'm an Italophile, so German food wouldn't seem like a natural fit for my taste buds. However, my brother was stationed in Frankfurt when I was young, and we visited (read: used him as an excuse to vacation in Europe) him often. It was during these trips I experienced foods such as schnitzel, fries covered with mayonnaise (quick note: if you have not tried mayo on your fries, you, my good friend, have not lived. Amazing.), and apple strudel covered in warm honeyed cream (still, possibly, the best dessert I've ever tasted). It is with these memories in mind, a buddy and I frequented Bohemian Brewery & Grill.

The large container next to the building is used to manufacture beer, which means Bohemian is a microbrewery. Now, there seem to be two types of microbreweries. First is the type that makes beer, and then serves some food as well. Second is the type that takes as much thought of its food as its beer. Because I don't drink, I don't have much use for the first type. So, which type is Bohemian? Let's find out.

I started with the potato pancakes, which were served with sour cream and apple sauce.

The difficult thing about these pancakes is if they're too thick, they become incredibly dense and starchy. Bohemian's version generally avoided this problem. The outside was crispy, and they weren't too thick. Near the middle, however, things became a little too starchy and a little too not crispy. The sour cream was beautifully light and tangy, which helped cut through the natural density of the pancake. The apple sauce was interesting. I've never had it before and didn't think it would work well, but it did. It's slight sweetness complimented the only lightly salted pancakes. Good stuff.

Now, on to the entree. And schnitzel is was.


This is my all time favorite German food. Pounded out pork, breaded, and then fried in butter. Little could be better. We ordered an innumerable amount of this meaty goodness from German street vendors, and I was always surprised by the quality. Bohemian's schnitzel was tender, and the pork had good flavor, not heirloom pork breed good, but good. The breading was okay, but not as crispy as I really enjoy. The white cream sauce that accompanied the schnitzel contained a good amount of lemon, and a good amount of lemon is essential to any good schnitzel. The mashed potatoes were creamy and light (i.e., not weighed down with loads of butter). The mixed veggies were okay, nothing special.

In the end, solid food, and pretty good schnitzel. Definitely worth another meal.

Rating: 6.5/10 (5/10 is average).

Bohemian Brewery & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment