Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blue Plate Diner

Address: 2140 S 2100 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84108. 801.463.1151.

Review: Breakfast for dinner (a.k.a. "brinner" of "deakfast") is one of life's great pleasures. When my buddy and I decided brinner was the way to go, we sauntered over to the Blue Plate Diner.

Blue Plate is a throwback sort of place, complete with old rusty bikes attached like old Christmas-tree ornaments to the patio. Once inside, the throwback theme continues with old sheet metal foodstuff advertisements and a jukebox (you know, the kind that has the bubbles always coming up the side tubes).

I ordered the chili verde omelet, which interested me primarily because it came smothered in homemade chili verde pork sauce. What I ended up receiving was the spanish omelet, which was filled with cheddar cheese and onions, and topped with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.

It also came with homefries and an english muffin.

The reason I didn't send it back was that my buddy and I were so engrossed in conversation that I didn't realize they brought me the wrong dish until I was about a third of the way through. By then, I had passed the point of no return, so I went with it.

This was an American-style omelet for sure. The eggs were fluffy but had been completely cooked, so they lost some of that liquidy texture a great omelet should have. The cheddar cheese was creamy and stringy, but wasn't sharp at all, so it didn't actually add much flavor. The salsa was standard stuff, nothing too exciting. The gaucamole, however, was great. The avocado flavor was front and center, and while I don't usually like onions in my guac, these onions enhanced all the other flavors. The sour cream was creamy and tangy. In all, the omelet was alright.

The homefries were nothing more than baked potato pieces, but they was good. They were crunchy on the outside, and fluffy light on the inside. The seasoning was just enough to make you think, "Man, it feels like I'm eating a really good potato." With a little hot sauce, the home fries became the strongest part of the meal.

English muffin. Soft. Not dry, as they so often are. Good.

It was a pretty good meal. Honestly, I think the chili verde omelet would have been better than what I had, but it's my fault for not noticing the waitresses mistake. (This noted, watch out for the service in general, it's a pretty common critique of the Blue Plate.) The next time I go, I'm thinking the array of eggs benedict on the menu will be calling my name.

Rating: 6/10 (5/10 is average).

Blue Plate Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment